Sunday, January 11, 2009
Okay, since my friend Jeanne Rhea tagged me back on November 29th, I've been trying like heck to come up with seven things about me that you may not know. Pretty hard task since I talk too much and I am an open book. I made a list in my constant companion notebook and added things as I thought of them, and boy it took me a while! Now, I can't say my seven will be all that interesting but here goes:
1. There was an attempt made on my life before I was even thought of, as my mother had her tubes tied and wallah here I am. Stubborn thing I was and still am. I was told I was an accident. I prefer to think of myself as one of those fun things that tell us...we are not in control.
2. I was raised on a 180 acre farm in Florida that was homesteaded by my grandparents, I've seen chicken's necks rung, cows butchered, hogs scalded (oh how I love cracklins',) not to mention many animals born. My job was feeding the chickens. Yes, I have "been" in an outhouse. Two different ones as a matter of fact, our neighbors, also a farming family had a "two-seater." Lynne, my neighbor, best friend in all the world and their granddaughter, and I thought it was the most fun place to play. My great-grandparents homesteaded in Florida as well and my great-grandfather built the first school in Polk County and it is named after him. To this day one of the original benches is in the front office of the school that took the place of the old building he built on the same site. However, they were from Bertie County, NC. Hmm.....must be one of the reasons my heart is in NC. Tarheel blood in me, even though I qualify as one of those rarities, a Florida Native.
3. I am a sheet snob. I hate sleeping on anything but 100% cotton sheets. I have been known to take my own linens with me to a friend's house (although she doesn't know that) I would take 50 year old cotton sheets over the modern day, pilly-feels like sandpaper-no-wrinkle blends any day! A great day at a thrift store for me is when I find a vintage sheet, pillowcase or tablecloth in pristine condition. I guess its part of my love of fiber and why I have been known to go in a quilting shop just to fondle the cloth. hehe (Nanette understands I am sure!)
4. I hate to wear shoes on my size 6 and 1/2 WW feet. Period. That's all I'm going to say on that.
5. I collect metal picnic tins. I think I have well over 40 if you include the Skotch Koolers. You can see some of them in my flickr album. Picnic Tins
6. I have three birds. Taco, a very talkative loud-mouthed Yellow-Naped Amazon, Wee-da-wee (she says this all the time so I named her that, I think she is trying to say "What are you doing?) a beautiful, sweet as honey, Lilac Crowned Amazon and then there is Blue, a beautiful and quiet, Rose Breasted Cockatoo, or Galah as they are called in their native Australia.
7. I really don't like to argue politics. However, I do try to keep current on what is happening in the world. I feel that politics, like religion, brings out very strong feelings for most and I like PEACE. Just because I don't say anything doesn't mean I don't know what's going on or have strong opinions. If you ask me straight up what I think I will tell you, but I won't say anything unless asked.
at 7:43 PM